P. Sunshine

P. Sunshine
My Flickr Fotos

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

clinically speaking

Baby H. had his CF clinics today. For those of you not hip to the CF scene, it is the at least tri-monthly visit to the Pulmonology clinic where CF'ers get weighed, measured, cultured and evqaluated so Dr.s can note their progress and make changes to their meds/diets if needed.
The Dr.s were so elated with H's progress, that they proclaimed that he should be used as an example for a CF'er who is doing well.
That's a relief....I get really excited when I hear that news, but then I realize he's only been doing well for 9 months out of his WHOLE LIFE. We have no idea when he will start a decline, so I will take this news and feel the glory for now, dang it!!!
Now we will commence to the part of H's life that I have been dreading ever since his diagnosis. The switch to "real" foods. He's been doing so well on his special drink mix, that I am scared to make the change. CF kids require 1 1/2 times the calories of a "normal" kid's diet. This means that Todd and I will have to make sure that he gets heavy, fat-laden foods while we try to eat low-fat. I am terrified of what our grocery bill will look like. With one vegetarian, one carnivore, ane eater-of-low-fat foods and one eater-of-high-fat foods, mealtime is going to prove to be quite an interesting ordeal, indeed!

No comments: