P. Sunshine

P. Sunshine
My Flickr Fotos

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Mini Vacay

just finished reading: Running With Scissors Currently enjoying: Coldplay & Daisy Mae


Northern Michigan, in the summertime, can be one of the most strikingly beautiful places on earth. I feel so lucky to have this hidden treasure nearly in my backyard (if my backyard took 3 hours to travel- then add in the stops to see relatives in Manistee and to take pictures of Todd's old houses - total trip=8 hrs.) . I feel extra lucky, and grateful, that my aunt happens to own a condo at the Homestead so that we can stay there for FREE!
We spent our mini vacay- Saturday evening, Sunday, and Monday morning, at Aunt Merry-Go-Round's condo enjoying the peaceful sound of Lake Michigan washing up on the course sandy beach. Although the water was not quite bathtub temperature, Todd and R. decided to go swimming anyway and had quite a fun time. I was content to sit and stare at the water as it folded itself onto the pebbly shoreline, appearing like clear green glass melting onto the land.
On the last evening, I finally succumbed to the muggy, sticky heat, as well as the taunts from Todd and Uncle Mark, and dove into the frigid blueness myself. It actually was quite refreshing, and the water felt as smooth as it looked. Baby H. had a good time watching us from the shore, and I kept thinking how nice it will be when the whole family can cavort together in the water like a pack of polar bears.
Speaking of bears, when our stomachs started a-growlin', we headed on over to the Good Harbor Grill , where we enjoyed a fabulous meal worthy of a visit by Rachel Ray; although it was a bit pricey (really good, unique food always is!!) for such a fun, casual setting. I had the Curry dish and my mom enjoyed the grilled scallops. Todd feasted on the black bean soup, which he said stayed hot for the duration of the meal due to the earthenware pot it was served in. Baby H. took a snooze while R. enjoyed the watching the baby at the next table drop spoons, dressing pitchers and plates onto the floor. Afterwards, we attempted to take a detour on the wooded scenic roads in hopes of getting the young ones to fall asleep. No such luck! The excitement of seeing deer in the plains and on the road coupled with baby H's sudden hunger caused us to make a mad dash back to the condo.
Sunday morning, after the storms cleared, and the island was misted over with the after-rain haze, my mom planned to take R. and I for a ride around the Homestead grounds. She suddenly remembered that a friend of my brother's owned a vineyard not too far away, so we ended up going and going and GOING there instead (she thought it was a 10-minute drive, but it turned out ot be about an hour!!) While R. napped in the backseat, I went in to the Gill's Pier Winery and enjoyed my first wine-tasting experience at a real vineyard. Visions of Sideways danced through my head as I sampled the local brews(?) and chatted with the owner. I did buy a nice white wine, abnormal for me, I usually stick with red, but I was in the mood for a sweeter flavor that day. I got to keep the glass, which we can use for a tasting any time we return.
Over our short little weekend vacation, we managed to fit in sight-seeing, relative-visiting, watersports, nature walks and good food eating. It was a great diversion from the daily stresses and a funand relaxing way to wrap up the month of July.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh... that sounds so niiice. I love visiting Up North -- as we say here in Michigan. Glad to hear you guys had a great weekend. You all deserved a relaxing get-away.

Love, Laurel

Anonymous said...

So jealous of your very fun sounding weekend. I want to go up north! Heck, I want to come to Michigan period. I'll be there Labor Day weekend! cc