P. Sunshine

P. Sunshine
My Flickr Fotos

Thursday, October 14, 2004

Warning: rant on the way

It really irks me when people act shocked when I tell them that I am going back to work after I have the baby. People need to realize that not all of us have a choice in the matter. Some of us HAVE to go back to work so that we can have a house, a car, electricity, water and gas.

What maddens me even more is when they say that if I would just cut back on the extras, then I can make it happen. Well, here is a news flash - I ALREADY HAVE CUT BACK ON THE EXTRAS! My mommy still buys my clothes for me, even though I am 32! How sad is that?! I had hoped that by this age, I could be doing more for her than she does for me, but it just has not gone that way.

When people suggest that we move to a less expensive house, I can honestly say that the houses at a "cheaper" level are all in a state that, once we get them fixed so that they are live-in-able, our mortgage will be the same as it is now. So there! We know, we looked at over 100 houses before we moved.

I can blame it on the economy, I can blame it on me not "applying" myself right after college, I can blame it on my former crazy spending habits, but what does that solve? The fact of the matter is, I am a working mother. I work outside of the home. I always have, and most likely always will. If you see that as wrong, you may send massive monetary donations my way at anytime...I get home after 4.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Who peed in your Cheerios?! JK. :o)
I like this new Ballsy Patti -- don't sugar-coat it, Sister! Say it like it is!

And when people ask you annoying or rude questions, gently reply "Why do you want to know?". And then they'll inwardly think "Well, because I'm a nosey sonofabeeotch".

Love ya! Laurel

Anonymous said...

Do NOT feel guilty for going back to work. It's nothing to be ashamed of. People who take that stance are the same close-minded, judgemental ones who can't conceive of the fact that other people don't want to drive SUVs or might no worship the same god that they do. Everyone has different choices to make in life. Yours is what works for you. You're a good mom, even if you have to work to pay the bills. It doesn't change a thing.

Lori

Anonymous said...

Excuse me, this blog's splash page said something about 'sunshine,' what gives?

Nice rant Patti. Have you noticed that the people who lecture young mothers about cutting back on extras always seem to live in 3,500 sf houses?

Scott S